South Beach Diet – Food List
The South Beach Diet has 3 phases. The first (two week) phase is very restrictive, whilst the second has some restrictions. The 3rd and final phase is a maintenance phase.
For a complete and thorough list to refer to, get your own copy of the South Beach Diet – Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide by Arthur Agatston.
NOTE: The food list is updated a number of times per year, as Dr. Agatston is continually refining the diet as new research comes to light.
NOTE: South Beach Diet now offer a home delivery service for food – currently offering 40% off.
Where the items have a line through them, this is a recent update.
Foods to ENJOY (controlled portions)
- Lean beef (i.e. good cuts)
- Lean poultry (skinless chicken or turkey breast)
- Lean pork
- Vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, celery, asparagus, spinach, tomatoes, lettuce, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, onions, fennel.
- Legumes – beans
- Cheeses – fat-free, cottage cheese
- Dairy – (fat-free or 1% milk, fat-free plain yogurt). Dairy limited to 2 servings per day.
- Oils -canola or olive oil
- Sweets / Sugars – no more that 75 calories per day
- All Starchy Carbs – bread, cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes, all baked goods.
All Dairy – ice cream, milk, yogurt
- Fruit – all fruits and fruit juices
- Cheese – full fat
- Vegetables – barley, carrots, white or sweet potatoes, corn, yams, beets.